Sunday, September 28, 2014

Sea Worthy

"And when he knew for certain 
Only drowning men could see him 
He said "All men will be sailors then 
Until the sea shall free them" - L.C



The sailors have their tales that they love tell,
of men overboard, shipwreck, and other
tragedies -

They will tell you drunkenly-
"Beware of Mermaids and Sirens.
They will lead you to death and ruin."

But Mermaids and Sirens do not exists.

Like all good ship Captains,
I know my
superstitions well,
but know my ship better.

Confident my ship
is right
is true
is Sea Worthy-

I navigate by the light of the stars.

The stars are sailors of the sky,
the souls of drowned men
guiding his brother home.

Their light,
hope among the darkness.

But that night I could not see the stars
I could only feel a cold unforgiving wind.

Omens I chose to ignore-

That night I had but one passenger aboard my ship.

I could not see her face when we spoke,
I could not see her eyes.

I had only a voice from someplace beyond.
Only a voice to guide my ship by.

She wants to know if my ship was Sea Worthy.
She wanted to test its worthiness.

She calls me chatty-
The iceberg hits
and rips through the hull.

She calls me weird-
The ships engines ignite into flames.

She questions my sexuality-
The capsize begins.

The ship is lost.

Women and Children first,
though she has long since abandoned ship.

But I do not run for the lifeboats.
A Captain must goes down with his ship.

I don't fear what comes next.

Sometimes we need to learn to swim in the coldest
unforgiving waters.

Sometimes we sink.

At times it's what is required.

How else can one
learn
forgiveness
love
compassion

They are like air,
it is only while drowning
do we fight for them,
long for them.

Sometimes it is what is required-
to drown again and again,
to die again and again

So that my soul may be a star in
the night sky
guiding not only my brothers,
but my sisters too-
until we all make it home.

Home to where there are
no ships
no ice bergs
no fires

no you
no me
no need to suffer

There are no sirens or mermaids.


No comments:

Post a Comment