Thursday, December 25, 2014

Grinch Heart


"You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch. 
You really are a heel.
You're as cuddly as a cactus, 
You're as charming as an eel,"
-You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch



I have a condition.

The medical term for it is
Grinch Heart.

I'm hoping to beat the odds

And like a doctor,
A woman performed open heart surgery-
to open my heart.

Now my heart is open
and three sizes larger,
but the woman was gone after the Fall,

After my fall for her, 
like a leaf from a tree,
with only the ground to catch me.

The surgery left my heart open,
The fall left me bruised.
and now the Winter is here.

I think about the new girl in the ugly dress,
I think about the
 New Year,
Connecticut,
and if I'll ever see her again.


Home is here
I'm here
Winter is here 
and
she is somewhere else.

So, it's just me and my dog.
and this old Grinch Heart of mine.

Still open, and bruised after the Fall.

This old Grinch Heart of mine,
and body
have taken quite a beating.

Yes, 
it keeps on beating
Keeps on beating.




No comments:

Post a Comment